diet Shakes – The Best and Worst diet Shakes
diet shakes can be the best tool to help you lose those unwanted pounds. If you have been trying to lose weight for the longest and you have not been able to stick to any diet for more that a couple of days, diet shakes can be the key to your success.
The problem with most diet plans is that they require a lot of extra effort and preparation which is very hard to do when you have a busy lifestyle. Preparing 3 or 6 meals a day (depending on the diet plan you are following) is extremely hard. I can barely manage to prepare one and that is on a good day. Most often we end up giving up on the diet not because we couldn’t handle the foods or we were too hungry, but because it is 8:30PM we just put the kids to bed, we haven’t really had any time to cook anything, and we are starving.
So here is where diet shakes come into place. It is a lot easier to open a can or whip up a smoothie than it is to go to the store, get the ingredients, cook the meal and hope that we like it. Meal replacement shakes or diet shakes are super convenient and they actually help you change your eating habits. They are a lot easier to stick with and that is the key to losing weight.
Now, have you ever been to a health food store or the diet section of your regular grocery store looking for one of these shakes? If you haven’t you are in for a real treat. There are dozens of products out there that have the same claims: “easy to use”, ‘nutritious”, “filling”, “satisfying”, “will help you lose weight”. So which one are you going to choose? Here are a couple of the ones that I recommend and a couple of the ones that I would stay away from:
- Slim Fast: Run the other way! There is nothing to Slim Fast that a cup of chocolate milk cannot cover, plus the tin taste is very prominent. Ok, maybe it has a couple more vitamins, but seriously, you drink a cup of chocolate milk plus a multivitamin and you have surpassed Slim Fast nutritional value. If you don’t believe me go to the store and look at the first four ingredients: Fat Free Milk, Water, Sugar, and Cocoa.
- Right Size Smoothies: I have heard these smoothies advertised on the radio like crazy. I finally went to the store and looked at their ingredient list hoping to see some decent ingredients… and I was disappointed again. Right Size smoothies have not one but two kinds of artificial sweeteners, Sucralose (generic for Splenda) and Acesulfame K. If a product has anything other than a natural sweetener, I pass. There have been way too many studies to prove that artificial sweeteners have no rightful place in anyone’s diet.
- Medifast Shakes: Medifast has become one of the most popular diet plans lately mainly because they make it super easy for you to follow their plan. I will not take credit away from them, they have helped so many people to lose weight and I hope they help many more. However, their shakes don’t really contain enough nutrients to be meal replacement shakes and they have Acesulfame K.
- Vega Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer: Now we are talking! These shakes are amazing. I couldn’t believe it when I saw them. They are all natural and all vegan too. Don’t get me wrong I am NOT vegan but the quality of this product is amazing. The only reason I didn’t choose them as my very best shake is because most of us are not looking for a vegan product, due to the quality of the protein. I usually look for something with whey protein which is a lot better in terms of body absorption and usage than any vegetarian protein.
- Shakeology: This is the best of the diet shakes that I have tried so far. It is all natural, it has whey protein (which is the only ingredient that prevents the whole shake from being vegan) and it has a ton, and I mean a TON of great nutrients. Probiotics, digestive enzymes, antioxidants, supergreens… If you can think of something healthy, it is probably in Shakeology. And, they don’t even advertise it as a diet product but as a complete, nutritious, healthy meal.
diet shakes have become so popular that you can find them everywhere. However, make sure you do your own research before actually purchasing any product that you are going to consume.